posAbilities Employment Service (PES) is excited to kick off another Spring season with their Head Start Camp! Head Start is an innovative and engaging camp for youth (ages 14-18) who are interested in employment opportunities after high school.
Vocational Counselor, Kelly Berge, has been running the camp for several years now and shares: “It’s not only geared towards giving campers a head start to employment, but is also about having fun.” One of our previous campers, Zach, said his favourite part was “getting to meet new friends and people with the same interests.” Like many others, Zach and his fellow camp buddy exchanged phone numbers to hang out together. This was a small moment that illustrates a bigger picture – these camps facilitate friendships.
Along with meeting new people, here’s a snapshot of what campers will learn about:
- Working together: Understanding the value of teamwork and how to collaborate with others to achieve goals
- Following directions: Learning the importance of active listening and when to ask questions for clarity
- Safety in the workplace (guest speaker from WorkSafeBC)
- Financial literacy (guest speaker from Vancity)
- Desired skills and qualities when hiring (guest speaker from Translink BC)
When: March 18-22 (week 1) and March 25-29 (week 2), Monday-Friday, 9:15am – 1:15pm
Where: Vancouver Employment Service (#206 – 3680 E. Hastings Street, Vancouver)
Cost: $220 per week (camp fees may be eligible through the Autism Funding Unit)
For more information and/or to register, please contact us at 604-291-1902 or employment@posAbilities.ca